I went to Dr. Frields with my first pregnancy, mostly because so many of my friends went to him and raved about how awesome he was. I was a bit put off by the very long office waits, but I agreed that he knew what he was doing. He was just so popular that I'd have to deal with wait. I didn't think he was all that friendly though, even while he smiled and asked if I had any questions. He really seemed like he was in a hurry to rush to the next patient. When I was at 37 weeks, my son was still breech, and the doctor told me that day that he would just do the c-section today. I was surprised, as we still had time, but I trusted him. Now I know better. My current OB was shocked that he would insist on an early c-section, simply because it was "technically full term." Now I believe he just did that to clear me from his patient list, to side-step the following three weeks of appointments. It was convenient for him, not me. Oh well, my son was born healthy -- small and covered in white, obviously not ready to be born, but healthy none the less.
For my second pregnancy, I returned to Dr. Frields simply because I couldn't find a midwife in my area that I liked. This time the appointments were more inconvenient, since I had to find a babysitter for four hours (yes, four hours!) to wait. Also, I didn't mention it earlier but the parking lot charges, and I never got out of there sooner than the daily maximum rate. $6 per visit adds up. Ok, so back to the baby. She was not breech and I insisted on a VBAC, not a c-section. Dr. Frields said it was ok because GAMC has it available in their policy (other hospitals don't). Off to a good start.
I had been preparing for a natural birth: Bradley method, no pain meds, etc. I had read a lot about how hospitals, OBs and nurses aren't keen on Bradley method, but I was not prepared for what was in store with Dr. Frields.
My final ultrasound measured my baby at over 8lbs, so he recommended that I induce and get her out. Nope, I want to wait for her to come out when she's ready. 40 weeks comes along, and I'm not dilated or anything. Again he suggests induction and I decline. He also lets me know that going after term endangers my baby. Hmmm, I don't know about that, sir. 41 weeks, not dialated. Now he is using scare tactics, telling me that the rate of still births shoots up after 41 weeks and I am risking my own child for my selfishness. He assigned me to daily monitoring in the labor triage room, which I agreed to, because I'm really not trying to be a bitch or bad mother, but inductions are not natural, and I didn't think it was right. He threatened me with an emergency c-section if I went to 42 weeks. I told myself I just wouldn't come back to the office. At 41.5 weeks, 10 days late to be exact, I finally go into labor. I labored most at home, and arrived at the hospital while dilated 7cm.
Now for the worst part. He insisted, while I was in labor, 9cm, that I have an epidural. I said I didn't want it, and he got upset. He said this is policy and that we'd agreed on this, but I don't recall ever having a conversation about it with him. Really, we didn't talk much at all during appointments, and that would have been an important conversation I would remember. Anyhow, he told me, with flushed face and raised voice, that he would not put up with this nonsense anymore, and that if I did not get an epidural, he WOULD NOT deliver my baby. Really. This happened. At that point, I gave in. I just wanted my baby, not a fight about mother's rights. I had the epidural, an episiotomy, and a healthy big baby girl.
For my third pregnancy, I refused to enter that office again. He has enough clients to give birth HIS way; he doesn't need me. F that. read more