DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH Solar Going Up (Thumbtack). Short version: Signed and gave deposit on 12/14/22 (cashed on 12/14/22) which exceeded 10% or $1K of project cost; second payment was p/u on 1/12/22 (cashed on 1/13/23) for material as stated by Connor Stotz (HIS License #132836SP Employed by Complete Solar Inc NOT Solar Going Up- info verified on CLSB 5/14/23).
On 12/29/22 Connor sent a text stating "he wanted to install while we were out of state, we said "no." Asked him "did he pull permits," he responded "no, we can install and wait for permits to be approved, we do that a lot to keep the flow of installs going otherwise we would be waiting for some cities and counties for 4 or so months." We responded "no wait until we get back."
Solar Installation on 1/21/22 - individuals showed up - subcontractors. They told us they worked for another solar company during the week, "we asked" have you been paid? He responded "yes". They did not tell us our roof was missing tiles. Had we not gone to our backyard and looked at the roof, we would have not known of the missing and broken tiles. On 1/22/23 sent Connor an email with photos. He replied "working on getting replacements asap."
On 1/24/23 Connor shows up to finish setting up the system - no mention of replacing the roof tiles. Connor asked for the final payment. Final payment was given on 1/24/23 (cashed on 1/25/23). The solar system was paid in full before our SCE application was submitted which was submitted on 2/2/23.
We were told final payment should not have been paid until the Permission to Operate (Rec'd 4/20/23) and the Net Metering Agreement (Rec'd 4/21/23) was fully executed by SCE. Net Metering is a program that credits your electric bill when your solar system sends surplus energy back to the grid.
We knew a rain storm was coming in a few days. Called roofer through thumbtack, came out on 1/25/23, replaced broken and missing roof tiles. Sent Conner text stating same. We wanted to make sure our home was safe from any water damage.
Picked up our mail on 1/26/23 received Preliminary Notice from the solar material supplier. We thought we paid for the material with our second payment from what Connor Stotz sent us a text message. Sent email on 1/26 to Solar Going Up asking about the preliminary notice and SCE application. No response. Requested Solar Going Up to send us an unconditional waiver of lien upon final payment, no response. To date we have never received one from them. However, we did receive one from the supplier upon sending them proof of final payment and that the solar system was paid in full.
SCE application was submitted 2/2/23 - called SCE on 2/15 - application had deficiencies - sent Solar Going Up email on 2/15/23 stating same along with a third request to correct our email with SCE so that we can get updates on our application. Application was resubmitted on 2/15/23 and 3/13/23 per SCE.
Now we have a roof leak from the last storm. Notified Conner of roof leak on 3/1/23 with photos (Solar Going Up - they don't respond). His last response was on 3/3/23 "will have someone out early next week - just got off the phone with the "repair guy" and he will get back to me on Sunday 3/5/23." On 3/3/23, I asked Connor is this an insurance company for the warranty work? Will he be a subcontractor? Connor responded on 3/6/23, "our installer will be back to fix it." I responded "we need his full name and his license number. Solar Going Up does not have a roofing license - they have a C46.
On 3/7/23; we hired a Remediation company to check out the inside of our home. It was and still is tarped. We have Dehumidifier fans (4) from 3/7/23 to 3/13/23. We had to move out of our master bedroom because of the location of the leak and noise.
After several emails and two telephone calls, we were tired, frustrated and felt apprehensive every time it rained not knowing if our home was safe. Solar Going Up is not licensed to do roofing. Therefore, that is why we requested a licensed roofer.
We are still waiting for our roof to be repaired, for the solar system to be inspected and to pursue reimbursement for all the cost we have paid.
As of today, 5/14/23; Solar Going Up has not contacted us or sent us a written correspondence to resolve this matter or to reimburse us for the cost so far. Solar Going Up is the worse company as they do not respond to any verbal or written communications. BUYER BEWARE OF THEIR WARRANTY read more