We were concerned that our cat, Molly, had been losing weight and eating less. When I found…read moremultiple piles of foamy vomit, we brought her in (around 6pm). We waited for hours in the waiting room, during which they took her vitals and told us they were normal. They finally took her away from us to be examined (which we didn't like), and then suggested bloodwork. Again, they took her, saying bloodwork would take a couple of hours. We went home for something to eat and called them back to check on Molly. They wanted to hold her there until they had the bloodwork results, but we told them we'd prefer to take her home while we waited. They resisted until my daughter called them to reinforce that we wanted to bring her home. When we picked her up around 11:30pm, we were only allowed to meet with a nurse, not the veterinarian. We were told that nothing on her bloodwork seemed too concerning, but there was evidence of infection and they'd give her an anti-nausea injection and fluids, and gave us antibiotics to administer at home.
From the moment she crawled out of her carrier, Molly was a mess, walking unevenly, zombie-like, staring straight ahead. Her demeanor had been normal when we took her in. Called back to ask if she'd been sedated, they said no. Research indicated other people's cats had a bad reaction to the anti-nausea (Cerenia), but that it usually passed in 24-48 hours. We waited all the next day. Her condition did not improve.
Got in to Oronoque Animal Hospital in Stratford at noon the next day. The veterinarian gently examined Molly in front of us, walked us through all of Shoreline's bloodwork results in detail, then performed an x-ray that showed a mass in her chest plus intestinal issues. She then arranged for us to immediately get an ultrasound at another hospital and called us before we'd even left there to explain the findings. Our cat was very, very sick with multiple internal masses. We brought her home and she died at home that night, less than 48 hours later after being discharged from Shoreline.
If Shoreline had done any imaging (we asked about it, they didn't offer it to us), they would have found that she had severe issues and we could have spent the next two days making her comfortable and arranging euthanasia at home. Instead, we spent one day waiting for the Cerenia to leave her system as she declined, and the next day driving around to get a proper diagnosis. She died at home that night, before the euthanasia appointment, and it was a terrible death that my family will never forget.
$1,100 worth of charges for an exam and bloodwork from Shoreline and we got sent home with antibiotics from a discharge nurse. Not even allowed discussion with the veterinarian when we picked her up. "That's not our protocol." They should be ashamed of themselves.