July 23rd, 2021.
My grandfather passed away in October of 2020 and my family booked a ocean boat to take us out to spread his ashes as his final wish.
Due to work circumstances I was only able to get the day-of off so my family booked me an early morning flight (7:30am) in order to make the boat at 11:30am.
I arrived at the airport at 5:30am, checked in, found my terminal, and waited. 7:00a rolls around and the flight is delayed due to weather, no other information is given besides the flight departure time being pushed back to 8:10a.
Then 8:10a rolls around, flight is again pushed back. Now to 9:10a, I begin to worry and ask the service desk for more information. They assure me the flight will leave soon. No other information.
9:10 comes and goes, delay now at 9:55am. I ask again for more information, but the ladies at the desk assure me that it should be fine. Knowing the flight would take at least 45 mins from takeoff to landing I am becoming increasingly concerned.
9:55 rolls around....intercom silence...I ask a woman at the front desk whats happening and no clear answer.
Then, I look up at the board--flight canceled--I ask them again what is happening and both ladies look confused. Phone calls are made, waiting waiting....finally at 10am the intercom is picked up and we are informed our 7:30am flight is canceled and all passengers waiting for over 3 1/2 hrs for information are told our new departure time is 12:30pm....but by that time my boat is out of the harbor and my family there without me.
Hours later of being on hold (they also hung up on me once during the two hours on hold, making me wait for 20+ mins in the queue again) with customer service I am told that nope! I can't be reimbursed for the flight cost, parking costs, or my time (obviously) because I am asking for a reimbursement after the 24hr period that I would have for a cash refund. All I was offered is a flight voucher, to where?! My grandfather's second ash spreading? Yeah ok....
$400 dollars and a day of my life wasted. No closure or processing of my grief, no time with my family to say goodbye. Time that I can never get back with family I never see from out of state.
If I had been told when I arrived at 6:30 that there were uncertainties with the weather and my flight may be canceled, I would have packed my bum back into my car and driven to Homer instead.
To anyone considering in-state travel with Raven, you might as well just drive. It will save you a lot of time, money, and frustration.
Edit: After going full "Karen" on the phone for 2hrs I was finally able to get a cash refund. It was hard fought, and I am still very unsatisfied with my service, but at least I'm not sad and -$400, only sad. read more