****Disregard this review. This was left for the wrong Dr Edwards
My husband needed immediate surgery according to multiple other medical professionals and we were sent to Dr Edwards because he was supposedly the "best". From the get go they put us off and said our insurance required that he get injections and go to PT. PT and the injection Dr said there was nothing they could do for and that surgery was the only option. Dr E did nothing. We went to the ER, ER Dr contacted Dr E to see if he could expedite things. Dr E made up a whole lie about there being an issue with our insurance and it not covering the hospital we needed to go to for surgery, but that if we could get that figured out, he could get us in that week. We called our insurance and found out Dr E's office had not even filed anything with our Ins yet (2 mo into the process). Our Ins actually intervened to get the ball rolling. Dr E's office then lied again and said PT office had not sent them the paperwork needed, but we and the PT office had proof that they had. After much work by us and our Ins company, we got approved and surgery was 5/28. Surgery was half the time Dr E told us it was going to be so we were concerned from the get go, but hopeful. The first few weeks went fine but at 3 weeks PO, my husband started to have foot drop and his calf muscles were spasming like crazy. At his PO appointment the Dr's were made aware and saw it with their own eyes. They didn't say a word. In surgery they fused the L4/5 but from the beginning told us L3/4 was very questionable. We pushed for them to do it at the same time and questioned them about putting in spacers as had been recommended to us by Dr's in the past, both requests were deemed unnecessary by Dr E. At PO appointment the PA Brandi literally said something to the effect of "the 3/4 looks great. In fact, I don't think you'll ever have to do anything with it". Less than 6 hrs later my husband could barely walk more than a couple steps and was in worse shape than before surgery. FF 2 wks and his condition is getting worse by the day. He is falling due to weakness and worsening foot drop. We see Brandi again, she orders MRI which she says shows the 3/4 now needs surgery. She orders blood work to check for infection and says to call back with results and then we'll figure out next steps. We do bloodwork same day and call back the next morning with results. Nothing, call again, nothing. Husband has now lost bathroom function and sensation from the waist down, calling repeatedly over 10 day period, nothing. We see the pain mgmt Dr that works with Dr E and she is highly alarmed. She contacts Dr E's office and still nothing so she sends us to the ER. ER tries to contact Dr E and is told he is in surgery in Provo so they are trying to figure out how to help us. Finally Brandi calls to "return my call" after 10 days. It's decided to do another MRI and that he needs surgery. Dr E instructs them to tell us to he'll see us in office next week and schedule surgery "sometime in August"? My husband has lost the ability to go to the bathroom and has no sensation from the waist down and he wants to wait until sometime in August? Obviously the DR's at the ER knew that was an insane idea and that he would be paralyzed if he was left that long, plus I had no faith that Dr E's office would even return my phone calls to set up an appointment. It was decided to admit my husband and a new neurosurgeon was brought on. The surgery that Dr E did on my husband was half a$$ed and rushed. He didn't do half of what he told us he did. Spacers were needed, and the 3/4 level absolutely should have been done the first time. Dr E literally just went in, and screwed some screws in and called it a day. He didn't clean anything up, he didn't even attempt to straighten the spine. My husbands spine is straight now after the second surgery. I was shocked at the difference! Apparently, the Dr's and nurses involved were quite shocked and disgusted by the situation and how horribly the first surgery was done. They were very tactful about it, but they made it known. To top it off, I got a call from Brandi while my husband was in surgery and she was not happy that we hadn't listened their instructions. She was defensive and rude. She proceeded to tell me that the reason Dr E needed to wait until august was because he was out of the state...another lie! How are you out of the state and in surgery in the OR in Provo at the same time??? It's just lie after lie with them to cover their mess. It's unbelievable! My husbands spine is much better now, but may never walk 100% normally again due to their negligence and being left so long without treatment. His new Dr wanted him to go acute inpatient rehab for 2 weeks but unfortunately our insurance denied it so he will now require intensive outpatient PT for who knows how long. He is out of work for who knows how long and honestly. This has cost him and our family so much. read more