Mr. Stephen L. Davis was not able to complete the job that he was hired to do, which was dig a new well and install the plumbing for the well. On June 5, Mr. Stephen L. Davis met with me and we agreed about the need for a new well, and based on his recommendation, we found an acceptable spot for drilling, and agreed on a price that would include a larger pump than was previously installed which would improve the house water pressure. He felt that he could get the job done pretty easily so it wouldn't take too long (4 - 5 days). I gave him a check for $1400 to confirm my intention of getting this completed. He then told me he would send an invoice/contract, and as of this date, have still not received one. After 10 days with no start date given, attempts were made to agree on a data when the well would be drilled when I would be home. Finally, the well was drilled on June 19, at which point the driller wanted to be paid for his services, even though that was never mentioned by Mr. Stephen L. Davis. A cash payment of $800 was given to the driller, with the understanding that the balance due of $600 would be paid upon completion of the plumbing and installation of the new pump. Attempts to contact Mr. Stephen L. Davis were made on June 21, 22, and 23, with different dates given as far as when the work could be completed. The agreed date of June 24 came and went without Mr. Stephen L. Davis or his crew arriving. On June 27 at 4 pm, a team of three workers came to start digging the trench for the pipe to go from the well to the pump house. They were not able to complete the trench on that day, so the team came back June 29 to complete the digging. The crew relayed the information that Mr. Stephen L. Davis wanted me to hire a tree service company to clear the roots, even though that also was not mentioned in our original agreement. The crew instead decided to go ahead and complete the digging by hand instead of waiting for another solution. The team then installed the new pump and connected all of the plumbing from the well to the pump. Unfortunately they were unable to prime the new system, and waited for instructions from Mr. Stephen L. Davis on how to proceed. Some changes were made to the plumbing and I was given the pump manual for my records. While we were waiting I read the manual and reviewed the recommendations from the pump manufacturer Goulds, There were different installation recommendations for different well depths, and I asked the team if the shallow well design (up to 25' depth) would work for a well of 60'. The team didn't know. I also asked about the need for unions on either side of the pump per the manufacturers recommendations, and the reply was that they were following Mr. Stephen L. Davis instructions. Since they were waiting from the PVC cement to dry from the plumbing modifications, it seemed to be a good time to find out if that might be reason for their priming problems. The team suggested that I contact Mr. Stephen L. Davis at which point, I declined, based on his poor response to my phone calls earlier, including one where he hung up on me (June 27). His next communication was to tell me to stop talking negatively about him to his team, this needs to STOP IMMEDIATELY (his emphasis). As a customer who has been patient and worked around the schedule and expertise that was provided, I was in no mood to be lectured about my communication skills. So the team was asked to pack up their things until a resolution could be made with Mr.Stephen L. Davis. I spent the next hour on the phone hearing how I undermined his working relationship with his team, and that his team wasn't given the respect they deserved. As the paying customer I pointed out that I also had expectations that hadn't been met. He suggested waiting until tomorrow to decide if we wanted the team to finish. I agreed and then found out the team had cut the PVC and removed the pump. Mr.Stephen L. Davis now informed me that to finish the job he would need $850 in advance before completing the work, which I declined his offer.My reply was the original agreement upon completion to my satisfaction.He now has resulted with threats of lawsuits and liens, and I am still without water.
Desired Outcome
After being promised that he was going to file a lawsuit, including providing the name of his attorney, Roy Kahn, I have no confidence that he would provide a quality solution to the need for clean water. Culligan had to be rescheduled because this job took more time than I anticipated, and I still don't have a solution. There are other plumbers available so I will find one that doesn't have so many complaints filed with the BBB. Mr.Stephen L. Davis mentioned several times that his team was 99% done, and he wanted them to finish, yet he is willing to cancel the agreement if I don't meet his new demands. I will not be held hostage by a plumber who promises to sue me! The breach of (verbal) contract was initiated by Mr.Stephen L. Davis. read more