A Horizonpwr rep came knocking on doors on my street a couple weeks ago. We've been curious about solar power so my wife and I agreed to have him over and listen to his pitch. Before I knew it, we were Docu-signing agreements, giving them sensitive information, disclosing income, and paying $100 for a site inspection, a fee I was assured was refundable if we decided to pass on getting solar, as long as we did it within 3 days.
After learning the price-tag and having a day or so to weigh everything, we ultimately decided that we have other priorities at that price level. I notified our sales person by text that essentially thanks, but no thanks. We were going to pass, and that I'd like our $100 back.
I heard back from him much later in the day. He texted that he was so surprised to hear this, and that he would bring the cancellation forms with him to their 7:00 p.m.-on-a-Friday-night appointment that they had made themselves the day before during the inspection. Only my wife was home when they came to inspect for structural integrity the prior afternoon. During that time, they pressured my wife to join their credit union, and she texted me that, aside from the tax returns I had left for them on the table, they now needed a photo of my driver's license.
What were we getting into? Who were these people? I hadn't agreed to anything at this point, not in my mind anyway. Why were we initialing and signing and giving them this information at this point in the game?
I told the sales rep that we would not be home at 7:00 p.m. that evening, and could he email me the cancellation form? Crickets. I never heard back from him or anyone at the company.
If you temporarily succumb to the high-pressure, high-speed sales tactics of Horizonpwr, know 2 things: A) Regardless of what the sales person tells you, you will not get back the $100 you pay for their site inspection once they come out and do it, which they'll likely do the following day. It's real easy to get someone to pay $100 if they're told they're guaranteed they can get it back, which was why I did it, knowing that I might never see it again. In the final analysis, I wound up paying them $100 to undergo their high-pressure sales pitch. I've blown $100 on dumber things but not many.
B) You need to decide within 3 business days whether you want to remain in any contractual agreement with them. If you want out, calling the sales person won't do it. Look at the contract you docu-signed, and it tells you at the end how to contact them for cancellation. Do that within 3 days. read more