My children see another doctor within the Los Altos Pediatric group, whom we love and trust for over five years now. However, my son was presenting a fever for over three days and I brought him in. Our normal doc couldn't see us that day, So Dr. Oro did. She looked my son over, and decided his fever was caused by bacterial or viral infection....continue monitoring and give us a call if it doesn't go away. Fine. I get it. I understand the reluctance to use antibiotics so much with kids, but he's had a fever for nearly three days.
I called in another three days, and my wife took Finn into the office. Again, he had to see Dr. Oro as she was the only available doc for patients rolling in without an appt. Again, she looks him over and suggests waiting for several more days because she thinks his body was trying to fight back. It had been over a week of fevers at this point and I told her that he really needed to be starting an antibiotic at the very least. No, let's wait and see was the answer I received.
After several more days of lethargic behavior, sporadic fevers (outside of the ibuprofen/tylenol doses), his color not looking good, we head back to the docs office for the third time....it's been just about two weeks at this point. This time I informed the front desk that seeing Dr. Oro was a no-go.....that another doctor was required to see him. My 7 year old son was so out of it after fighting fevers daily, he was taking on a grayish pallor and couldn't even get himself up on to the table. I had to pick him up...
Thankfully, our regular doctor at the practice managed to see us that day. I gave her the rundown on symptoms. She gave him a thorough checkup and provided us the appropriate antibiotics, which I had been asking for since the first appointment. My son started to look and feel better inside of the next 36 hours, and made a quick recovery and was back in school three days into the antibiotic. So frustrating!
Dr. Oro may be technically proficient within the majority of her pediatric practices, but her inability and/or reluctance to provide medication/antibiotics within the appropriate timeframe, which we were well inside of, put my son in danger. He's a healthy kid, but if Dr. Oro can let a nasty virus or bacterial infection stay at work on a seven year old for near two weeks while presenting a consistent fever, then I have a major issue with her judgement.
I don't like complaining, but this doc really scared me. Two thumbs down. read more