I had my initial phone interview with Gillian on Monday, December 30, 2024, and we scheduled an in-person interview for Friday, January 3, 2025, at 11:30 AM. The interview went well, and we decided to proceed to the next step, which was a second interview with a Regional Director on January 6, 2025.
The interview with him went so well, I was advanced to the next step, speaking with another Reginal Director, January 7, 2025. After that conversation, I was certain I wanted to work for her franchise.
On Thursday, January 10, 2025, I had another final interview with a different company at 1 PM. Despite the higher base salary they offered, I felt I would grow and learn so much more with her organization. She invited me back to her office on Friday, January 11, 2025, at 11:30 AM for a final meeting. Although I was initially disappointed about making another trip, I appreciated her thorough vetting process as it demonstrated her commitment to finding the best candidate. After that meeting, I was honored to sign the offer letter.
Upon reading her job offer, I was surprised by the drug screening request. From my experience in HR, it is more practical to inform candidates during initial contact about such requirements. Although I had no problem submitting to a drug test, this would certainly add more time to my start date.
She mentioned in the offer letter that my start date would be either Tuesday, January 14, 2025, or Wednesday, January 15, 2025. She explained that I could not start working until the drug test cleared, which was not completed until Friday, January 17, 2025, leading to the initial change in my starting date.
On Wednesday, January 15, 2025, my mother had a heart attack. I prepared to travel to another state to be with her but consulted with Gillian first due to the delay in the drug test results. Gillian and I agreed to a start date of 1/20/2025. January 17, 2025, Gillian received my drug screening results and cleared me for work.
My mother was released on Saturday January 18, 2025, amidst a snowstorm after the Governor declared a State of Emergency. I informed Gillian of the dangerous travel conditions and requested a new start date. She never responded to my message.
The next day she sent me a text message stating she would not reschedule my start date (after she initially changed it) I sent her an email asking if we could have a conversation and she responded with a text that stated: My decision is final, Please stop calling and texting me"
Those are the facts. 3 weeks of my time was wasted jumping through hoops for Gillian only to be left without a job or a reasonable explanation. read more