Let me start this by saying we are very greatful that our girl is well & on the mend. That is were our greatfulness ends with Avets. Last Thursday our Lily started showing some really odd symptoms that we had never seem before. So we contacted our vet via telehealth. After hearing her symptoms he thought it maybe Pyrometra & we need to take her to the closets ER right away. Terrified I called Avets & informed them of the situtation & that Lily can be reactive & and would need to be sedated on arrival. Upon arrival my husband entered the facility to inform Avets that we had arrived. My husband exited stating we were to come in an had a seat. We proceeded to wait for and extermely long time all while she was bleeding on the floor. I guess I had assumed that she would be taken right away, per the phone call to Avets. I guess I assumed wrong. We finally were taken back to the exam room where we proceeded to wait even longer for a doctor. My husband finally had to go get help because Lily's bleeding had gotten even worse & we no longer could keep up the clean up with only tissues availble. A nurse or tech came back with two towels for her the lay on and we waited even more. Finally the doctor came in and asked me to go to another room so we could discuss Lily's issue, while my husband stayed with her. Upon entering the room the doctor stated the he believed that she did infact have Pyrometra, she needed surgery right away, and it would cost $6,000! This all while no one had even placed a hand on my dog.
He stated we could call around for a lower price if we wanted but she needed her uterus removed right away and the only way they would complete an ultrasound to confirm, was to sedate her, but they would only sedate her if she was going to have surgery there. Really, call around while my dog is bleeding all over your floor?! It seemed he was assuming we could not afford thier services. Not sure we he got that assumption. Of coarse we wanted thier services, that i why we were there. He told us someone would be in to get our payment and the half would be required to have her admitted. I went back to the room & we waited again. Finally the front desk lady can for the payment of $3,500. I'm pretty sure I can do math and $3,500 is not half of $6,000, but what do I know. She took my card and left the room, to only come back and state my bank had a hold on funds do to daily limit and that I would need to call me bank. So that is what we did. We were told it would be no issue to remove the daily limit hold and verified there was plenty enough in our account, but the hold would take a few hours. The desk lady told us she would have to ask the doctor if he was ok with this issue. She came back stating the doctor requested that we atleast pay $1,000 to admit her. YES, please take the payment. Payment went thorugh. She stated ok someone will be in to sedate her. Perfect! A few mins later a knock at the door, thank god they were finally going to help her. NOPE, desk lady again, "the doctor is request another $1,000". Sure take my card, she needs help right now. Comes back no issue with payment. Again, someone will be right in. I finally needed a break and had to step outside. At the very same moment my bank called and stated the request was processed for the daily limit. Thank god! Upon enter back in the building, I stopped at the desk handed my card over and paid the remaining $1,500 dollars that the doctor had requested. I head back to the exam room to see that again no one had came to get her sedated or start care. My husband leaves to take a break, since we now have been there for 4 hours watching our fur baby slowy bleed everywhere. Magically 3 techs show up at the door finally to sedate her. Interesting after the full amount was just paid 2 mins before. So she has her surgery and stays overnight no complications, thank heavens. The morning doctor calls and states she can come home, she is doing great, when can we come to get her?. Right away! I ask the doctor was our remaining balance would be for services and she said "probably $300-$400 dollars for pain meds and IV removal, you guys put a huge deposit down". Ya think?! We go and pick up our girl and only end up paying $200. So in the end we were no where near $6,000! Please! If you can avoid this place at all costs. You are just a dollar sign. Thank god myself and my husband a very fortunate to have the money that they requested in the first place. I can only imagine and feel terrible for the people that have walked in here for help in a dire situation and have had to put thier fur baby down because they dont have the abililty to pay a crazy made up price or their pet dies bleeding on the floor of this facility due to the insane wait time. read more