I've been in the situation where AVets was my only option, and I would have given anything to not have to take my animal there. I'm positive others feel the same, so here's where to take your animal in case of an emergency. Butler Veterinary Associates. This team is kind, responsible, detailed, and overall great. They provide the same services, but with the animals well being in mind. If you every need emergency services, please contact them before consider AVets. See below for our disgusting experiences with AVets.
The first time we took our animal to AVets they quite literally pushed expensive blood tests on us, because they were sure she had meningitis. We agreed to the test, and a hydration pack. After hours of waiting, they said they couldn't figure out if she had it based on her blood test, but they should admit her to watch her over night to rule it out. This was to the cost of over $2K. They talked more about financing her "care" than what they were going to do, and when we asked what they would do while she stayed they answered "observe her". Wha?!? We decided to seek a second opinion, and got her to an emergency clinic that day, where they LITERALLY ran the same blood panel that showed she had no signs of meningitis, and that she was just dehydrated.
We have two Vets we take our animals to, of course when our animals decide to get hurt it's after hours. Every time we reach out to them and talk about their emergency services they themselves apologize for us having to take our animals to AVets, and they wished there was another option. This feedback is coupled with the zero positive things we've heard from multiple people about going here. When someone makes a cringe face when you mention AVets, I think something is wrong. Strike number 2.
Finally, our dog had a fall on a Saturday afternoon and needed immediate medical attention. Of course, at the time our only option was AVets. Being a veteran animal owner, and having worked with animals in the past i'm confident in knowing when it's time to go to the ER. We took her in, while the front desk clerk was registering us she quite literally stood up (mid conversation) and walked away. My dog laid in my husbands lap crying, while this women was gone for almost 10 minutes. I began pushing on what was going on, and the clerk reappeared. I asked her what happened, and her answer was " I don't know, I don't know what I was doing". I made her aware the situation was serious, and she needed to focus on what was going on (didn't think i'd need to step in as a manager that day).They registered us, we go through the regular pony show, and are then taken back to the the "doctor". This women could have cared less about our dog. There was no comforting her, and no empathy. She gave her an examination, and started talking about her back injury (sustained years prior). I asked her to please stay focused on what the issues was (her leg), and she kept going back to her back, and pushing for an MRI. I declined MRI, and the doctor immediately started pushing an extensive blood test to make sure she was healthy for an x-ray?? I said I won't pay that for a blood test, and she immediately knocked the price down-didn't know I was negotiating? I declined the blood test, and asked that they get her in for an x-ray immediately. She then proceeded to tell me they had to sedate her to an x-ray (for $200) because she would freak out. Mind you, my dog is literally laying there in massive pain, and not freaking out one bit. I told her no one is sedating my dog, but agreed to pain medicine (obviously). The x-ray confirmed she dislocated her hip, but they weren't sure they could put it back in due to arthritis-and lots of it. I asked to see the x-ray, and was denied??? The doctor then pushed for more blood tests to make sure she was OK to have general anesthesia to set her joint, again at an even lower price than before.I asked, "What if the blood test comes back and her general health isn't good enough for anesthesia?" to which she answered " I guess you have a difficult decision to make"....real comforting.....??I told her no (once again) to blood tests, at which point she pushed for her to stay until Monday (we took her in Saturday afternoon), so they could do surgery next week, to the tune of $3-4K. I told her my dog would be going home with me tonight, and she responded "She won't have a good quality of life if you do that". I told her that's fine, and she again pushed for my dog to stay. I told her firmly (this time), "No". She took my dog, and said it would be 2 hours (this was at 5:30pm), at 10:30pm they called to say they got her joint in and she could go home. We went to pick her up, and sat in the lobby for over an hour. My incredibly calm husband had enough, got up, and demanded our dog. They listened, we left, and followed up with a surgeon who discredited everything they told us there. What an awful place. read more